Friday, October 1, 2010

First day of Work

Today was the first day of work, or rather the first day all of the auxiliares were at the school. We just had a mini-orientation with the school director, got our teaching schedules, and went on a tour of the school so we'd know where things were. I only ended up being there 2, 2.5 hours today so that was nice. Each week I'm teaching 2 third grade science classes, 4 fourth grade science classes, 2 fourth grade English classes, 2 fifth grade English classes, 2 sixth grade science classes, 2 sixth grade English classes, and a conversational English class for some of the teachers. Since it's only a total of 16 hours per week I work (with some breaks in the middle) from 9am-2pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, from 9-12 & 4-5 on Wednesday (the teachers' class is after school), and then I have Fridays off!! It'll be interesting teaching the teachers, as it's a from scratch conversational class, so she said I'd mostly be speaking Spanish- at least the first half of the year anyways. Other than that I'm glad to be teaching the older kids I think, more conversations and less "how do you say this", "what is this", etc. but we'll see!

For lunch a group of auxiliares who live in Alcala (and one who lives in Madrid but was here about half the time anyways last year apparently) went out to eat. It was nice to get to know some of the others that live in Alcala, especially since 4 of them were in the program last year so they know what's going on, how to get around, where to find stuff, etc. We had "el menu del dia" which is basically a set menu that restaurants have and it's usually the cheapest choice on the menu. I had Fabada (bean and blood sausage soup) which was very filling, chicken (an entire half basically) with potatoes (potato chunks "fries" drenched in olive oil), and melon for dessert. It was a very filling lunch! Luckily everyone in Alcala lives pretty close to each other, so we'll be hanging out often!

No comments:

Post a Comment