Thursday, October 21, 2010

Teaching Teachers

I've been teaching students for three weeks now, and I had my first experience teaching teachers yesterday. Every year one of the auxiliares teaches English to some of the teachers at the school. This year I have 4 teachers who know nothing about English, they just want to learn. We started with "hello" some of them asked me to pronounce it, they had no idea- this is literally a zero level English class. Since I only have them for one hour every Wednesday afternoon it's going to be slow going. Obviously I can't give homework or tests, so the pace of the class is really going to depend on how much time they put into it outside of class. The good thing is that they're only there because they want to learn, but the bad thing is they only want to learn certain things. It's hard to teach conversation sentences if I can't teach them verb conjugations. I'm going to teach them verb conjugations, they will have to deal, there's no way around it. This is going to be more difficult and take lots more preparation than any of my other classes or private lessons, but it should also be a fun class to teach. Plus I get to speak Spanish because otherwise they wouldn't understand anything. It is a bit comical though that I've only been a teacher (an assistant really) for 3 weeks and I'm teaching teachers, hopefully I can learn from them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment