Thursday, September 16, 2010

First Full Day in Spain

Today was a pretty good day! I got up, took a hot shower (I was previously skeptical as to whether or not the water would be hot), and set out. I bought a phone and explored the southern part of the main city area. I went to the tourism office & they were SSOOOOO helpful! They gave me maps, bus schedules, told me where things were, etc. I walked around Plaza Cervantes, all the shops around there, and I found 2 really cool parks. The first one I found is like a fairground area near the river which has lots of gravel areas. There were a ton of people walking around, a decent amount jogging, and kids riding bikes. I'll definitely have to go back & run there! The second park I found is dedicated to old people (or mature people who have retired). There's a kiddie playground area & in addition to the fountain, flowers, benches, walkways, etc. there is a mini-exercise area for the retired. It's not much, just you against your own weight type stuff, but better than nothing! I tried a few of them out, pretty cool actually. I think I'll be using them from time to time because they are entertaining!

In addition to watching today's stage of the Vuelta I saw a bike shop. Unfortunately they don't rent bikes, just sell them (and wouldn't buy them back at the end of a year). They were excited to hear that I was planning on going to Madrid to watch the end of the Vuelta on Sunday- I better actually get there & see it!!

I also signed the contract for my apartment today, so I legally have a home now! There are 3 rooms; one roommate is here already and another moves in October 1st.

When I was out walking today I got caught in a thunderstorm. Everyone ran for cover & then stood there, waiting for the rain to stop. It was strange at first, but I could get used to just watching the rain fall in the park. Also while walking around I found this cool little store that has trinkets, school stuff, kitchenware, shoes, clothes, purses, etc, etc in about 4 aisles. An Asian family runs it (although it was clear they'd been raised in Spain) and it has random stuff. I think I'll be going back if I need anything.

Well that's it for now. It's been a long-ish day and I think I'm still jet-lagged a bit. Hasta pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment