Monday, November 1, 2010

Random Updates


It's been a little while since I've written, so here are some random things that have occurred this week which you might find amusing:

-Some of the kids in my school had a field trip to Xanadu, the only indoor ski slope in Spain. It's in a sports mall (like the one I went to in Santiago, Chile- so I guess taking outdoor sports and moving them inside to a shopping mall is a Hispanic thing...) in Madrid. The kids took a bus, and they all (along with the teachers who went) got to ski/snowboard all day. They left at 9, right after they got to school, and returned around 6pm. Too bad we couldn't go on that field trip!?!!

-I had to teach the reproductive system to one of my 4th grade Spanish classes, and then ask them comprehension questions... let's just say the Spanish aren't shy about using any words or pictures. Their homework is always to draw and label the organs in the system they've just learned about, the boys got a kick out that for this lesson.

-Found out Alcala de Henares has one of the best indoor leagues in Spain (the green team pictured above). One of the schools here gets free tickets, so a group of us went to a game on Sunday. It was 5v5, but pretty intense- with radio announcers, a camera guy, etc. They also had a band (although I'm pretty sure it was just random fans who wanted to hit drums & be loud). The halftime "show" was like 8yr olds who played 5v5. It was really funny to watch them "warm up" and play. You could tell they were just trying to imitate what they saw the professionals do on t.v.

-I've realized the lack of houses also comes with a lack of yards; I miss this. There's no place to spread out a blanket to sit in the grass, no place to put a grill, no place for dogs to run around (which would explain all the dog poop on the sidewalks), no lawn mowing, no sprinklers, no backyard gardens, no swing-set, etc, etc... quite depressing actually. and I also realized Trick-or-Treating wouldn't be nearly as fun. You would just stay in your apartment building going to doors which are like 3ft apart... maybe that's why Halloween hasn't caught on here, it just wouldn't be as fun for a little kid???

No comments:

Post a Comment